Character talents v. OOC talents

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gazura, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Ninja-Cadillac

Donator

For the most part, I never play characters that would have an expertise in something I don't know. The exception would be something like Jake as a bartender because I can easily google recipes for drinks no problem. Then again, Jake seems to be likable which I have no personal experience with either. But if I don't know a comfortable amount of information about whatever subject I'm mulling over for my character, I research it first. Then, not only does the roleplay quality improve, but I learn something too.

K361 and PastRacer like this.
  2. Eon

Eon Get off my lawn!
    Support Team Content Team Donator LSFD

That might be the saddest thing I've heard.

3. Morytania

Morytania Peasant
    Donator Ad Supporter

Perhaps you could also combine these two aspects of RP, which might help it flow a little better and add more depth and imagination to the RP in general. For example, you could write some actual spoken/sung lyrics, perhaps taking on inspiration from other songs you already enjoy. And then a few posts later, write a /me explaining the feeling behind the song/lyrics and the actions taken, etc etc. You could probably get really detailed with it. All it takes is a little inspiration, I think. :)

N9ne likes this.
  4. Reezh

Reezh Salt Miner
    LS Transit LSFD Ad Supporter

I think we can all agree that you don't have to be an expert but with a little effort you can still roleplay in a way that you know all the stuff.
    Of course, you have to do some research (no matter if it's a skill, disorder, addiction or anything else) but from what I've experienced you learn this quick because you actually want to, plus you will know more about this in real life, which is always a good thing.
    I personally have a medic/firefighter character, even though I have had no experience IRL before.

...so yea what I'm basically trying to say: just read yourself into the subject and go for it. + you'll learn by doing.

N9ne likes this.
  5. Dynath

Dynath Plebeian
    Ad Supporter

Without skill systems there is no mitigation between OOC and IC knowledge, in order to roleplay something you need to know what you're doing and to be honest I don't see how this works as it is directly breaking the metagaming rule (Googling how to take out an engine OOClu, doing some roleplay like you an expert mechanic ICly) there needs to be some system where you can invest in roleplay perks/skills to have realistic characters, some which profess in chemistry for drugs others that profess in craftmanship for trades ( More skill points unlock more commands to do things on cars, etc) that spit out /me's for the roleplay. Alternatively someone with higher skill points should be able to train you to their skill point level if you're near them and observing this is just a brainstorm but I've seen this concept on a server for GTAsa but it never kicked off I believe it's the only way to actually make a proper RP server, to bring some RPG elements into it as well because tbh I don't find it fun to have to study a subject in order to roleplay it I come online for fun not to re-enact college courses when I already have to deal with them irl

6. Morytania

Morytania Peasant
    Donator Ad Supporter

How does that break the metagaming rule? Metagaming is using OOC knowledge of what's happening in the RP to influence your roleplay, when your character wouldn't know the same information. How does Googling some information for research purposes break that rule? Lmao... If someone wants to play a character that does something they themselves don't know much about in the real world, why is that reason to stop them? Not everyone wants to roleplay as literally themselves online. Like you said you don't do the same things on here as in the real world.

Also the perks thing.. Why do we need this to have realistic characters? The characters are realistic because of how the person roleplays them. Some added script isn't going to change that. That is the whole idea of this thread, is how to RP a character realistically when you aren't knowledgeable about what you will have them be doing. It's not supposed to be everything scripted like in a regular video game with skill points. It sounds like you're describing an MMORPG.

7. Ninja-Cadillac

Donator

I second what @Morytania is saying. While skill systems are all well and good for other types of games, the server focuses primarily on your ability as a roleplayer to portray a character in a realistic manner without relying on game mechanics or skills or perks. It's the same as roleplaying via forums where it's entirely text-based and you have no choice but to rely on the other person's ability to roleplay to keep things fun and interesting. It's not metagaming to play a mechanic and use google to find out how to do something your character would know that you wouldn't. It's doing your research to keep things believable.

That's like saying if I made a character that was a botanist, I'd have to play him as the worst botanist ever because I OOCly know nothing about botany.

Plus the metagaming rule, as I've always come to understand it, pertains to knowing something about another character or an event that you know about OOC that your character shouldn't know IC. It has nothing to do with basic skills or knowledge.

K361 and Morytania like this.
  8. Ethan

Ethan Game Master
    Game Master LSFD Ad Supporter

You have the entire world wide web at your disposal, if you roleplay a character that is a botanist then it'd be reasonable that your character knows things about botany. As such it would be acceptable to google things you don't know. Just as I roleplay my character being a motorcycle enthusiast while IRL I have very little knowledge about motorcycles. A good example would be googling conversational topics a botanist would probably have some answers too, or when someone asks you something you don't know google it and consider if it's something your character would be able to talk about.

If you're roleplaying a botanist you probably won't need to know that in hot and dry conditions, plants close their stomata to prevent water loss. And that under these conditions, CO2 will decrease and oxygen gas, produced by the light reactions of photosynthesis, will increase, causing an increase of photorespiration by the oxygenase activity of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase and decrease in carbon fixation. You just need to know enough to represent your character in a way that is convincing for other people. A good example would be googling conversational topics a botanist would probably have some answers too, or when someone asks you something you don't know google it and consider if it's something your character would be able to talk about.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that it's acceptable for people to google everything they talk about. When you're roleplaying a teenage hoodlum and lecture a group of people on the the primary fissile isotope used for the production of nuclear weapons you're probably going to get called out for it, and rightfully so. It all really comes down to discretion, common sense and knowing exactly what you're trying to represent. Eventually you'll learn more about the stuff you're roleplaying and you'll eventually be able to stand on your own. A skill system isn't going to solve that, when you roleplay a mechanic while not knowing anything about it IRL you can't just go "Mechanic 83/100" whenever people ask you a question. We don't have a speech check system.

Eon and Soupiest like this.
  9. Morytania

Morytania Peasant
    Donator Ad Supporter

(That was his entire point behind that sentence, lol)

10. Ethan

Ethan Game Master

@Morytania I know, I just went into detail and explained to readers who are unsure about the matter what the acceptable norm is. It's also important to understand the difference between metagaming information and researching a topic for your character. One is punishable, the other is not.

Morytania likes this.
  11. Morytania

Morytania Peasant
    Donator Ad Supporter

Yes, I think that is what we both touched on. But good to get a more in depth example I guess.

12. K361

K361 Christyyy
    Donator Recognized Organization Ad Supporter

Using ooc information how to repair an oil leak just because your character is a mechanic while you are not isn't considered metagaming, simply because said information isn't aimed at anyone in particular, it falls into skill category rather than knowledge, in my opinion. Metagaming would be if you knew that said oil leak was intentional and set up by certain character just because someone told you on discord. My character for instance knows more things about firearms than your average police cadet. Just cause I partially do irl, but she doesn't wave it around that she does. This stems from her background as well.

13. Ethan

Ethan Game Master

It's not a more in depth example, I'm literally explaining how it works.

14. Morytania

Morytania Peasant
    Donator Ad Supporter

Yay :)

• About Us

FiveRP is a heavy text-based roleplay community for Grand Theft Auto V on PC. Drawing inspiration from successful SA:MP, MTA and ARMA communities, we bring together the best aspects of tried and tested roleplay conventions, to deliver a rich and diverse experience to the GTA V world.
  • Like us on Facebook